Thursday, April 22, 2010

More than enough

Once a week, we visit "The Rock," a foster home run by an American missionary named Elaine to house street children. Some of these children ended up as street children because they were orphaned, some because they ran away, and others for reasons that I probably can't even imagine. Whatever way they ended up at the center, the (~20) children - ranging from about 4-17 are clothed, fed, and educated by this remarkable woman. Beyond that though, I was most surprised by how well-behaved these children were despite their backgrounds: it was clear after speaking with them (especially among the older ones) that their faith in God played a strong role in their lives and that they were sincerely grateful for the things that this missionary and other volunteers had provided.

At this foster center, we share a bible lesson with the kids centered around 1 letter of the alphabet which corresponds to an attribute of God beginning with that letter (This system was apparently designed by John Piper so it's legit). We then read relevant bible stories, sing songs, do arts&crafts, and whatever else we come up with. Last week we went over the letter B - that God is Bountiful - and sang the song "More than Enough."

Initially, I felt a bit awkward and a bit disingenuous teaching the children that God is more than enough. Here I was, a foreigner from the United States who never experienced the kind of conditions that these children had experienced, telling them to be thankful for the blessings that they did have. In an area where most of its inhabitants would never have the opportunity to step foot outside the continent, my mere presence was an unabashed announcement that I had greater financial means than most people they knew. Their fascination with our digital cameras (something that these children might never own) - to the extent that they would swarm around us for a chance to use it - only highlighted this sentiment. What if Warren Buffet came up to me and told me to be happy with what I had - how insulted would I feel?

Crowd of kids gathered to try use the camera
He really wants to use my camera
Upon further reflection though, it made me realize that perhaps it was precisely this position that could allow me to make the claim that God is bountiful. It is this position that allows me to recognize that "yes, even this much will not satisfy the unending thirst for more - in the US and around the world, there are people with more money than I can even fathom who will still find that amount inadequate." If Warren Buffet told me that even his wealth was not enough to fill the hole in his heart, perhaps I would feel more convicted rather than insulted.

It made me recall something that my pastor said about false idols (a favorite topic of his): All idols will eventually disappoint you in some way - money, beauty, relationships, marriage - and can never take the place of the true Redeemer. He noted that even his own marriage which is, "as good as any he's known," could not have been enough to satisfy. I think if Larry King (who has just filed for his 8th divorce) said the same thing it would have had a very different effect.

The truth is that I think many of these children already knew about the lesson that we shared that day. They exhibited a gratitude in seeing their life changed - from living on the streets to having a home with a bed, clothes, and food to eat - and I think they knew the lesson better than I would ever know.

3 comments:

  1. Not to disagree with anything you've said in the last 3 posts, but I find it interesting to note that, while it is certainly difficult for people to make it out of crushing poverty, there are approximately half the number of people living in poverty today as there were just 30 years ago (see world bank report here: http://web.worldbank.org/WBSITE/EXTERNAL/TOPICS/EXTPOVERTY/EXTPA/0,,contentMDK:20153855~menuPK:435040~pagePK:148956~piPK:216618~theSitePK:430367,00.html#trends). Which raises the question, how did THOSE people rise out of poverty, and how can those conditions be replicated for the people who remain in poverty? I suspect much of the answer lies in good public policy and reducing corruption. -Nate

    ReplyDelete
  2. dunno if i feel the same about your hat, though

    ReplyDelete