Thursday, April 8, 2010

Safe Arrival - Prayers and Praise

Praise

Safe Arrival:
I just wanted to let everyone know that I arrived in Kenya safely last night without any major problems. In fact it was actually a very smooth trip overall with all of my flights arriving sooner than expected. None of the luggage was lost and we found the driver pretty easily. I say "we" because I came on a flight with my teammate Michael Kim who is from Atlanta. (I never met him until yesterday. Also, I will probably put up a post about him and other teammates w/ pictures in the future)

Because we flew into Nairobi late in the night, we spent the first night at a hotel near the airport. After about 3 hours of sleep, we woke up at 4AM to eat a delicious breakfast and make an early morning flight from Nairobi to Kisumu, the city that we will be working at for the next 8 weeks. Here is a picture of Kisumu from the plane. Kisumu is on the western side of Kenya and borders Lake Victoria

Humbled by Support:

Today in Kisumu, I was able to visit the hospital and some patients. I'll write more about those experiences in the future but for now, I just wanted to take this time thank you for the overwhelming support that you provided in reponse to my original e-mail. Initially, I had some reservations about asking for donations, especially when a friend of mine strongly suggested that one should not ask for financial support if they have the means to fund the trip entirely on their own. Nonetheless, the mission organization advised against funding the trip solely on one's own dime so i e-mailed out, thinking I might be lucky to get about 50%

Needless to say, I have been utterly humbled by your support - not only financially, but also in the form of donations, e-mails of encouragement, and messages promising prayer. Donations ranged from $10-$1,000 and exceeded the budget. Upon reflection, I feel like a recipient of grace, of something given freely and undeserved, and at great personal sacrifice to the giver. Indeed, I am humbled by the recognition of that sacrifice: I know that contributors included individuals affected by the recession, students with no form of income, individuals unsatisfied with their bonus, those who are already stretching their means through tithing, and those saving up for their own mission trips.

In addition, God knows our sins and our imperfections but chose to sacrifice his only son to give us Grace at no cost to ourselves. As friends and family, you too are aware of my weaknesses and know that I am imperfect, but just as Christ's sacrifice has endorsed us and moves us to live a life that reflects his love, I see your "grace" as an endorsement, despite knowing my weaknesses, that will remind me to work harder and more faithfully

Prayers

And so, I request your prayers - that during my time in Kenya, I would continuously fix my eyes on the author and perfecter of our faith, and not be married to my own ideas of what I will get out of this experience. I also ask for protection (the area can be dangerous and I am particularly concerned about potential transportation related accidents), courage (being in a new country with many unfamiliar faces and customs can be overwhelming), and wisdom.

By the way, I can be reached via e-mail and gchat pretty easily. Although much of the infrastructure here is definitely 3rd world, the telecom infrastructure is surprisingly amazing. I signed up for the international unlimited data plan through my blackberry so I will be signed on (although I may not be able to respond b/c it might be dangerous at certain places to take out my blackberry). Please feel free to comment, e-mail, or gchat - I enjoy receiving them and want to make sure I remain in contact!

No comments:

Post a Comment