Thursday, May 27, 2010

Kibuye Market

I've been to Kibuye market a couple of times while I've been in Kisumu. It's one of the largest markets in Kenya and also in Africa. You can buy pretty much anything (food, furniture, clothes, DVDs) with most of the clothing being second hand - shirts, pants, shoes, and even underwear. I thought it was funny that most of these clothes we donated and thought were given away for free are actually being sold in these kinds of markets. And so I often see people wearing clothes that they have no idea what they mean (ie: I saw one of our patients wearing a Hooters shirt, also a random person walking down the street with a "Girls gone wild film crew" T-shirt, some kid with a Chuck-E-Cheese shirt)

 
customers browsing the selection of used shoes

It's pretty crowded in the Kibuye market

They also sell spices, beans, produce, and poultry at the market

Who's that 'Chinese' guy wandering around the market?

 taking pictures in black & white: instant way to turn any photo into art

 a shot of the indoor market in Kibuye.
On a side note: I love the natural lighting in Africa; every picture looks ultra dramatic like it's out of a magazine



video walking through kibuye market


There's hardly any other mzungus at the market so it's important to be wary of your belongings because a lot of people will be after them - either by ripping you off or more blatantly, by pickpocketting you. I didn't buy much at the market but I did get a sweet pair of masai sandals (which were custom made according to my design and size specifications) and also a belt since I didn't bring one to Africa

 workers making a pair of masai sandals from old tires. They live on a couple of dollars a day

this guy is working on the custom sandals that I ordered

the final product

glad to finally have a belt to hold my pants up!

3 comments:

  1. Great sandals out of Masai land
    http://buyonlinekenyaculture.kbo.co.ke

    ReplyDelete
  2. True Masai sandals
    http://buyonlinekenyaculture.com/masai-jewelry#!/African-sandals-and-footwear/c/12016086/offset=0&sort=normal

    ReplyDelete